COWLITZ INDIAN TRIBE
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
YOUTH COUNCIL ADVISOR
Title: Youth Council Advisor
Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm, with program hours variability
Location: Vancouver, WA
Classification: Part-time (30 hours per week)
Opening Date: March 29, 2018
Salary Range: $17.00 to $20.00 per hour DOQ
Closing Date: Open until filled
Position Summary: Assistant in the promotion and development of the Cowlitz Youth Council as young leaders with tribal community commitment and involvement. Provide leadership, support and promote their spiritual growth and facilitation necessary to ensure the success and continued growth of the Cowlitz Youth Council and their leadership roles as strong, capable and caring youth. Complete regular office duties for Cowlitz Youth Council and Cowlitz Youth Program. Assist with Youth activities, events & programs. Attend staff meetings, trainings, and obtains/maintains proper certifications.
This position reports to the CITYP (Cowlitz Indian Tribe Youth Program) Manager.
Successful candidate will be highly professional, self-motivated, detail oriented, have the ability to manage multiple tasks, and demonstrate a genuine interest in children and culture.
- Support the Cowlitz Youth Department staff in planning, implementation and evaluation of tribal youth activities, events and programs.
- Assist with planning, preparation and participation in events such as: Youth Council meetings, conferences, trainings, culture gatherings, camps, and holiday events.
- Assist with maintaining the youth web pg., and facebook page.
- Assist with set up and breakdown of youth program events and activities.
- Plan and develop nutritious menus for youth events. Shop for necessary supplies and food as needed.
- Support Cowlitz Youth Program staff on the various targeted prevention framework and activities aimed at decreasing alcohol and other substance use.
- Ensure youth activities, programs, and gatherings are delivered in a culturally appropriate manner.
- Must be able to work occasionally long or extended hours, including weekends.
- Must maintain the confidentiality of all information concerning youth and families.
- Abide by Cowlitz Indian Tribe Personnel Policies and Procedures and enforce Youth Code of Conduct.
- Other work-related duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Must have one (1) year experience working with youth;
- Must have one (1) year group facilitation experience.
- Must have one (1) year public speaking experience.
- Basic computer skills, including software such as Microsoft Office, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Experience in handling general office duties, good communication and writing skills.
- Maintain accurate and timely documentation.
- Strong organizational skills, with experience planning youth-friendly gatherings and events;
- Knowledge of traditional, cultural and spiritual practices of the Cowlitz Indian Tribe.
- Must maintain a valid Washington Driver’s License with no restrictions and must adhere to the Cowlitz Motor Vehicle Usage Policy.
- Must have a Washington State Food Handlers Permit or able to acquire within first (30) days of employment.
- Must maintain current CPR/First Aid Certification or able to acquire within first (30) days of employment.
- Must pass criminal background checks and drug screen.
- Must be able to listen, and communicate effectively with participants.
The Cowlitz Indian Tribe is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug and Alcohol-Free workplace.
Except as provided by Title 25 CFR, section 472 which allows for Indian preference in hiring, the Cowlitz Indian Tribe does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, sex, national origin, physical handicap, marital status, politics, or non-membership in an employee organization.
Please mail resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Department
Cowlitz Indian Tribe
P.O. Box 2547
Longview, WA 98632