DATABASE AND APPLICATIONS ADMINISTRATOR
COWLITZ INDIAN TRIBE
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
Title: Database and Applications Administrator
Schedule: Monday through Friday
Location: Longview, WA
Opening Date: Jan 19, 2018
Classification: Full Time
Hours: 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Salary Range: $70K to $85K Annually DOQ
Closing Date: Open until filled
Position Summary: Under the direction of the IT Manager, this position is responsible for using, maintaining, supporting and developing all the computerized databases and associated applications for the Cowlitz Indian Tribal Government offices including Administration, Accounting, Member Services, Health, Human Services and others. This includes all related software applications and reporting systems that use these databases.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
- Identifies database requirements by interviewing customers; analyzing department applications, programming, and operations; evaluating existing systems and designing proposed systems.
- Recommends solutions by defining database physical structure and functional capabilities, database security, data back-up, and recovery specifications.
- Installs revised or new systems by proposing specifications and flowcharts; recommending optimum access techniques; coordinating installation requirements.
- Maintains database performance by tuning database parameters; implementing new releases; completing maintenance requirements; evaluating computer operating systems and hardware products.
- Maintains data security and data integrity to highest standards.
- Prepares users by conducting training; providing information; resolving problems.
- Provides information and support by answering questions and requests.
- Supports database functions by designing and coding utilities.
- Creates, maintains and generates reports as specified by users
- Performs data mining and analysis as required
- Implements application software in association with database systems
- Maintains quality service by establishing and enforcing organization standards.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
- Work with IT vendors and contractors to support and maintain existing databases or to implement new ones.
- Support other IT areas and positions as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Advanced knowledge of database software and database servers.
- Demonstrated knowledge with MS SQL Server 2008 or higher.
- In depth knowledge of desktop, laptop computers and peripheral hardware
- Proficiency in installing, configuring and using desktop OS’s such as Windows 7 or 10 and applications such as Microsoft Office 365 and other common applications to work with MS SQL Server
- Advanced knowledge of Windows Server, AD, and Domains.
- Advanced knowledge of networking including Ethernet, TCP/IP and associated equipment.
- The ability to understand and document IT requests from tribal management and staff.
- Excellent communication skills both verbal and written.
- Good customer service skills.
- The ability to document all work performed so that other IT professionals would be able to understand the work done.
- Must be able to handle multiple interruptions, able to multi-task and to handle multiple priorities
- The ability to meet deadlines and diligently follow standards and best practices.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- BA or BS in information technology or computer science.
- At least 3-5 years experience providing database administration in a medium to large scale environment is required
- A minimum of 2 years of experience with MS SQL Server 2012 or higher is required including advanced knowledge of MSSQL.
- Demonstrated experience and use of high level report writing software or Business Intelligence software is required - Crystal Reports preferred
- Demonstrated high level technical knowledge of Windows 7 Professional and Windows 10 operating systems is required.
- Experience with enterprise systems and Microsoft Domain networking, including some knowledge of at least 1 low level language or Windows scripting is required
- Demonstrated experience within a Windows Server environment using Server 2008 and higher is required
- Experience working with Accounting, HR and other business systems is desired
- Ability to work well with people from many different disciplines, programs and departments with varying degrees of technical expertise.
- Must possess valid driver’s license
- Must submit to and pass drug screening and criminal background check.
The Cowlitz Indian Tribe is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and a Drug & Alcohol-Free workplace.
Except as provided by Title 25 CFR, Section 472, which allows for Indian preference in hiring, the Cowlitz Indian Tribe does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, sex, national origin, physical handicap, marital status, politics, or membership or non-membership in an employee organization.
Please mail resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Department
Cowlitz Indian Tribe
P.O. Box 2547
Longview, WA 98632