Cowlitz Indian Tribe
Department of Transportation
Cowlitz Tribe Transit Service Program
Title: Event Driver / Transit Driver
Schedule: Flex Schedule, 40 hours per week +
Location: Longview, WA
Classification: Full Time
Salary Range: $15.00 per hour + benefits DOE
Closing Date: Open until filled
Cowlitz Tribe Transit Services provides transportation for tribal members and the general public within our service area of South Lewis Count and Cowlitz County. This position will also provide transportation to Cowlitz Tribal Events, requiring some weekend and evening hours.
The ideal candidate should have the following skills and knowledge:
- Must pass a DOT Physical/CDL examination
- Follow federal, state, local, and tribal laws and rules with highest regard for passenger safety.
- Constant attention to detail while operating a bus, awareness of surroundings and traffic hazards. Must obey all traffic laws and regulations.
- Stay calm under adverse conditions.
- Driver must be able to respond to emergency situations encountered from traffic accidents, medical emergencies or bus passengers and community disaster evacuation plans.
- Communicate courteously and effectively in English both written and verbally, with public, passengers, co-workers, supervisors and officials.
- Responsible for maintaining knowledge of skills and techniques through attending regular scheduled training sessions.
- Be able to operate assigned equipment, including computerized cellular communications and navigation equipment, computer literate and be able to maintain daily trip logs. Operation of a handicap lift, secure wheelchair and tie downs
- Must be able to assist handicap or elderly
Minimum Job Qualifications:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must possess a valid Washington State driver’s license appropriate for the type of vehicle to be operated. Minimum requirement: Valid C Driver’s License and Passenger Vehicle Endorsement
- Provide a Department of Licensing 5 year driving abstract record.
- Must submit and pass DOT drug screening
- Back ground check is mandatory for this position and is also required to be screened through the Washington State criminal record check (WATCH) that covers the last 10 years or a FBI National criminal records check if the applicant has not lived in Washington State for the last 3 years
- Sit and operate a bus for extended periods with few breaks.
- Perform daily trip inspections of transit vehicle, checks gas, oil and water before departure.
- Turn side-to-side and reach overhead to adjust mirrors and push/pull a force of 20 pounds.
- Lift up to 50 pounds to assist passengers with bags or packages.
- Partial lift/slide of wheelchair on the bus (up to 115lbs of force).
- Bend, squat, kneel to secure wheelchairs, and to complete pre-trip inspections of buses
- Climb up and down steps to get on and off the bus frequently
- Responsible for the care, maintenance and cleaning of the vehicle both inside and out
- Maintain a safe and orderly vehicle at all times
- Assist other staff in keeping shop and other work areas clean and presentable
- Drivers Training: Defensive driving, PASS and Child safety securement must be completed within 60 days of hire.
- Medical Training: First Aid, CPR and AED Certification are required. Driver must successfully complete First Aid, CPR and AED training within 60 days of hire.
- Responsible for being friendly and courteous with co-workers and passengers at all times
- CDL License preferred
The Cowlitz Indian Tribe is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and a Drug & Alcohol-Free workplace.
Except as provided by Title 25 CFR, Section 472 which allows for Indian preference in hiring, the Cowlitz Indian Tribe does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, sex, national origin, physical handicap, marital status, politics, or membership or non-membership in an employee organization.
Please mail resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Department
Cowlitz Indian Tribe
P.O. Box 2547
Longview, WA 98632