Cowlitz Indian Tribe
Schedule: Monday through Friday
Location: Tukwila, WA
Opening Date: July 26, 2019
Classification: Full Time
Hours: 8am – 5pm
Position Summary: This is a full-time position, non-supervisory position for Cowlitz Tribal Health clinic. The position is stationed at the Tukwila, Washington site. This position works closely with and support of a full-time nurse care manager and medical team providing medically-assisted treatment (MAT) and mental health services. Direct supervision under the program manager
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- In an outpatient setting the medical assistant will gather medical history, allergy list, medication reconciliation, vital signs (height, weight, blood pressure, pulse, PHQ9, GAD7 screenings) and records information into patients’ electronic health record for review by medical provider.
- Provide cross coverage for reception staff during periods of absence; check patient’s in and out of appointments and assist with rescheduling, complete appointment confirmation calls.
- Expected to cross-train between mental health and medically-assisted treatment clinic.
- Demonstrates patience and use of tact when interacting with patients and families who are potentially suicidal or in crisis.
- Maintain and practice confidentiality.
- Prepare new patient intake packets, photocopy, fax, and other clerical duties for program.
- Schedules patient referrals to other providers and provides referral source with appropriate clinical information.
- Communicate and works closely with team to ensure scheduling updates and changes are reflected as they arise.
- Maintains providers schedule and updates scheduling templates as needed.
- Assists with medical supply inventory control for clinic.
- Collects specimens through phlebotomy on-site and sent to independent laboratory for analysis, completes point of care (POC) observed urine drug screening and pregnancy testing.
- Administers patient injections/medications as ordered by providers
- Processes and tracks consults, referrals, and follow –up appointments.
- Completes prior authorizations for medication orders initiated by provider.
- Phones or electronically sends in medications at direction of physician.
- Observes and reports patients’ signs and symptoms to provider and nurse.
- Participates in MAT team meetings and facilitate care coordination with multiple departments.
- Facilitates prescription medication problems that have been unresolved by external pharmacy.
- Performs other duties as assigned or directed.
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Graduate of a formalized accredited Medical Assistant/Nursing Assistant training program required.
- Certification as a Medical Assistant or Nursing Assistant is highly desired.
- Six months work experience.
- Lab experience preferred
- If offered the position must submit to and pass a criminal background check and drug screen
Required Knowledge, Skills and Characteristics:
- Position requires contact and appropriate communication with patients, providers, and other support staff both within and outside of the work area.
- Position requires ability to respond quickly and calmly to varying demands from providers and patients. May require ability to distinguish between normal and abnormal test results.
- Position will be required to assist moving patients to and from exam room and to position and/or lift patients.
- Work is performed in a normal clinical environment. Position is frequently exposed to blood and bodily fluids, as well as communicable disease.
The above essential responsibilities and duties describe the level and nature of work performed by the employees assigned to this job. The description should not be construed as an exhaustive listing of all job duties and responsibilities performed by this job.
P.O. Box 2547
Longview, WA 98632
Fax: (360) 578-1641
Tribal Health Seattle
15455 65th Ave. S.
Tukwila, WA 98188