The mission of the Cowlitz Youth Program is to enrich the lives of youth and the Tribe through traditions that teach respect, honor, and culture by connecting them to the Elders, Cowlitz Tribal people, and history, traditions, and culture of the Cowlitz Indian Tribe.
Cowlitz Youth Council:
The purpose of the Cowlitz Indian Tribe Youth Council (CITYC) is to foster future generations of strong leaders while honoring culture, tradition, and language; and to promote mental and physical well-being of Cowlitz youth. The CITYC strives to act as a voice while modeling positive attitudes and behavior for Cowlitz youth. CITYC also serves as an ambassador for Cowlitz youth when youth issues are being discussed. The CITYC plans and participates in several service projects throughout the year. The CITYC ensure youth have input with the Cowlitz Youth Board leadership on decisions and policies, guidance on strategic planning, and vision for the future. The council also works to bring innovative ideas and opportunities to generations of Cowlitz People.
Program Activities and Events:
- Culture teachings
- Cowlitz Language
- Harvest and gathering trips
- Cowlitz Indian Tribe Youth Council
- Youth leadership conferences
- Annual Safety Event
- Summer Camp
- Youth and family annual Christmas Party
- Various gatherings throughout the year
- Attend at least two (2) Tribal Council Meetings yearly.
- Attend monthly Youth Council Meetings, including activities.
- Attend November and June General Council Meetings.
- Agree to serve a complete 2-year term.
- Adhere to deadlines and turn in all paperwork and forms on time.
- Actively participate in Tribal projects, peer discussions, and Youth Program Events.
- Youth Council also plays an advisory role to the Cowlitz Youth Board leadership
- Be a positive influence on friends and community.
- Maintain acceptable academic standing, and healthy life choices.
- Behave appropriately as you will be a youth representative of the Cowlitz Indian Tribe.
- Travel to youth conferences and various trainings.
- Report to the Cowlitz Indian Tribe Youth Program and Youth Council Advisor.
- Youth who are enrolled members of the Cowlitz Indian Tribe.
- Youth between the ages 13-17
- Must be able to perform CITYC duties
The Youth program include Youth Program Manager Melissa Halvorsen, two employees Clay Koch, Youth Program Coordinator, and a Youth Council Advisor. The program is overseen by the Cowlitz Youth Board who reviews budget, policy and advisory responsibilities and serve as volunteers during youth gatherings and events. The program is located at the Toledo site
Youth between the age of 7-17 years old, enrolled in the Cowlitz Indian Tribe.
Phone: (360) 577-8140
Youth Program Manager
Direct: (360) 353-9915
Cell: (360) 798-6241
Youth Program Coordinator
Direct: (360) 353-9916
Cell: (360) 562-5185
Youth Council Advisor
Direct: (360) 353-9917
Cell: (360) 605-6116
Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm
Sometimes we have events for children, with Youth Council, or have meetings on the weekends and flex time during the week.
Contact Information : email@example.com