What began as a small vegetable garden at Cowlitz Tribal Housing (St. Mary's) has rapidly grown over the last few years into multiple production gardens, a hoop house, raised beds, and a medicine wheel garden taking up over 20,000 square feet.
Originating as a way to fulfill Tribal members’ need for fresh, sustainably grown produce, the Community Wellness Garden currently serves the Elders Nutrition Program as well as over 100 households of Cowlitz Tribal members and members of other Native American and Alaska Native tribes.
We currently work year-round to produce annual and perennial fruits and vegetables and culturally significant crops; we are also in the process of developing a nature walk around the garden area featuring native and culturally significant plants. In the future, we plan to expand our food preservation and season extension practices as well as educational opportunities and events.
- Growing and offering produce to all Cowlitz Tribal Members, Native Elders, and Native households experiencing food insecurity.
- Produce distribution in Longview, Tacoma, Vancouver, Ridgefield, and Toledo.
- Distribution of culturally significant crops and related products.
- Providing educational materials and activities to encourage cooking, gardening, and interacting with nature.
- Cooking and food preservation classes.
- Seasonal garden events.
Health Clinic Services, such as individual diabetes and health education visits, are available by CIT Medical Clinic primary care provider referral.
Wellness activities, such as community programs, group health education classes and events, are generally open to all Cowlitz Tribal Members, CIT staff, CIT clients and family of the above
Garden produce is available to all Cowlitz Tribal Members, native elders and any clients of HHS services who are faced with food insecurity.
Sign up here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/CITgarden
125 Spencer Road
Toledo WA 98591
If you would like to come visit the garden, please sign up for a volunteer slot using the contact button below or call us to schedule a visit.